Friday, April 5, 2013

Veggie Nests

This started life as a veggie burger recipe, but it doesn't hold together in patty shape.  What I realized though was that is was extremely tasty just on a plate by itself.  I call it a nest because I ended up putting a cup and a half on a plate and then putting 2 cups of roasted veggies on top of the nest.  The roasted veggies on top are optional but veggie nest sounded more appetizing than veggie mush, which was what I originally called it. 
When I made it originally, the paprika I had in my house was smoked paprika (which I had never used) and now I'm afraid to try regular paprika because I've fallen in love with the smokey flavor.  The original reicpe had an egg in it at one time which added nothing to the flavor or consistency (and did not help it to stay together) so I took that out. 


1 Tblsp. Olive Oil
1 onion diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots, peeled and grated
1 1/2 cups yellow squash, grated
1 1/2 cups zucchini, grated
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 tsp. salt
Pepper
1/2 cup canned black beans rinsed and drained
1 tsp. smoked paprika
2 Tblsp. chopped parsley (optional)
1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa (I use red quinoa that has been prepared in veggie broth rather than water)

Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat.  Add onion and reduce heat to medium.  Add garlic & saute 3-4 minutes, until soft.  Add mushrooms and cook another 2 minutes.  Mix in carrots, squash, zucchini, salt & pepper.  Cook 3-4 minutes more until soft.  Mix in black beans, paprika, parsley & quinoa.  Cook another 1 minute.
Remove from heat, transfer to bowl and let set at room temperature for 1 hour.

**After the mix has sat for an hour, you can heat another 2 tsp. olive oil and cook the mixture until it's heated through and serve. 
What I also do is stick it in the fridge after it has set for an hour and cook it in a little cooking spray, 1 1/2 cups at a time, as I need it.  It stays good for several days in the fridge, it just depends on your serving requirements.

No comments:

Post a Comment