Friday, April 5, 2013

Sweet Potatoes

This is not really a "recipe" per se and there's nothing particularly original here, but I've had a number of people lately ask me how I make sweet potatoes. 
Basically, I just wash and thinly slice unpeeled sweet potatoes and I layer them in a baking dish with cooking spray and salt on each layer.  I bake them at 400 degrees checking them until they are ready. 
What I've done differently recently is I've made sure that my baking dish has a lid and I bake the sweet potatoes with the lid, so where they used to be fairly soft, now they melt in your mouth.  Having the lid on seems to almost steam them.  And you can cook 1 cup of sweet potatoes or three pounds of sweet potatoes this way, just alter the size of the baking dish.  They keep well in the fridge if you make them the night before you are serving or eating.  If you are looking for attractive dish of sliced sweet potatoes keep a closer eye on them as they bake, because letting them bake until they are really soft will give you an absolutely delicious pile of orange mush (which I love).

No comments:

Post a Comment