Monday, April 29, 2013

Sweet Potato & Kale Stew

I've made this twice, to make sure it's "blog worthy" :)  I find it delicious.  Very tangy, thanks to the OJ you saute the onions & peppers in.  I buy kale and rip the leaves off the hard stem and measure them after that.  Typically getting a pound will yield the 6 cups of leaves.  Tonight I cooked 1/2 a cup of brown rice & added it to my bowl and it was fine.  Didn't change the overall flavor too much. 


2 pounds sweet potatoes - diced (I leave the peels on)
1 - 10 ounce red onion, finely chopped
2 bell peppers (not green!), seeded & finely chopped
2 - 15 ounce cans kidney beans
2 - 14.5 cans diced tomatoes
1 Tblsp. Chili Powder
2 tsp. smoked paprika (makes a big difference when it's smoked)
6 cups kale leaves
3 cups orange juice

In a large pot, saute onions & peppers in 1/2 of the orange juice (1 1/2 cups) until onion is soft & translucent. 
Add all remaining ingredients except kale.
Bring to a boil & then reduce heat to simmer 25-30 minutes until the sweet potatoes are soft but not mushy.
Turn off heat and stir in kale so it wilts.  Then serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment