Friday, January 24, 2020

My First Husband's Perfect Grilled Cheese

When I was growing up, we would spread a bunch of butter on bread, with a knife, put the cheese between the slices and while cooking, smash the hell out of it with a spatula.  I always thought it was fine, until my boyfriend (later to become my first husband) looked at it and pronounced it disgusting.  And compared to what he taught me about grilled cheese, he was correct! 

It doesn’t matter what kind of bread or cheese you use, and maybe margarine would work.  What matters is that the instructions are followed to the letter!   My 2nd husband is eternally grateful to my 1st for teaching me to make an incredible grilled cheese!


Ingredients:
Sliced Bread (Chef’s choice of flavor)
Thinly Sliced Cheese (Chef’s choice of flavor)
Melted Butter (Start with a couple Tbsp and increase if needed)

Using a pastry brush, brush butter lightly on 1 entire side of bread.  Place bread in a cold skillet and turn the stove on medium.  Place cheese on bread and place 2nd slice of bread on top of the cheese.  Brush butter lightly on the 2nd slice of bread.
At some point, flip over the sandwich.  You can pick up it and peek under and see if it is browning and flip it. If it’s not browning you can return it and let it cook a little longer if desired, before flipping.
When you flip the sandwich, lightly brush more butter on the bread that is facing up, while the other side cooks.  You can continue to do this until the sandwich reaches the level of brownness you wish and you can see the cheese has melted. 
MOST IMPORTANT TIP:
NEVER EVER EVER touch the sandwich except to flip it and brush butter on it.  At no time should the spatula be used to press or crush the bread.  Flip and brush.  That is it!

This sandwich will melt in your mouth and you will never want to make it any other way.

**Courtesy of My First Husband (Although he doesn’t know!) 😊


No comments:

Post a Comment