Friday, January 24, 2014

Sweet Potato Hummus

This is my absolute favorite recipe so far.  Often, when I find an interesting recipe, I have to make it a few times and adjust it to my taste.  And I did make a few changes to this one, but it really was a slam dunk right out of the gate.  (Mixed sport metaphor alert!)  Is incredible when served with carrots and/or red pepper slices.
I also find that just about every recipe that includes sweet potatoes, instructs to peel them, but if its a good sweet potato and it is thoroughly rinsed and scrubbed, why get rid of that extra fiber?  Also, it doesn't seem to negatively impact the flavor in any recipe I've found.
Maybe not the best, in terms of low fat, but packed with protein and really filling.  Enjoy!!!

1 pound sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 can (19.5 ounces) chickpeas (liquid reserved)
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp. tahini
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Salt to taste

Steam or roast sweet potatoes until soft.  (steaming took about 20 minutes).  Transfer to food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients and puree for 1 minute, adding the reserved chickpea liquid as needed.  (I found it necessary to use all of the liquid)

Adapted from www.wholeliving.com

No comments:

Post a Comment