Monday, May 27, 2013

Steamed Beets

In the last month or so I've discovered that I LOVE BEETS!!!  I hear people say they don't and for40+ years, I think I just assumed I didn't, but I really do!  This recipe is really delicious, IF you like beets.  If you think you don't, try it anyway! 
One warning, I am really bad at figuring out how much to buy or how much to write in the recipe to buy in order to get the peeled and diced quantity needed.  For example, I don't know how many whole beets equals 3 cups beets, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch wedges.  I bought 2 bunches of golden beets and ended up with a little more than I needed.  I had 1 medium red beet and ended up with 2 cups.  Just experiement until you have what you need.  It is really worth it!  This recipe, made with red beets, is really good but the golden beets are just fantastic! 

3 cups peeled red or golden beets, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
1 garlic glove, minced or smashed
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt

Mix oil, vinegar, garlic & salt in a bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.  Steam beets for 15 minutes and cool.  Pour oil mixture over beats and toss to coat.  Chill and eat.  Can be added to salads to eaten straight with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment